• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Shew Lead VS. Marcinkiewicz Shew #1 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Shew Lead VS. Marcinkiewicz Shew #1 ? Reply with quote

Anyone out there played both of these mouthpieces and can give me your thoughts on the differences? Seems that I remember Bobby stating the Yamaha back bore was more open? Thanks for the info.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell; I haven't tried Shew's Yamaha mouthpiece, but I just picked up a lovely Xeno RGS and the guy had the Marcin (sp) Shew 1. I'm NOT a fan of shallow mouthpieces and thin backbores right now, but I'm surprised at the ease there is in playing it.

To me, the main diff that I notice is the rim. Seems a bit thinner, certainly thinner and more rounded than my Monette 4, or a Schilke 13a4a. The broad rims really lead me to mash onto the mouthpiece; this Shew 1 is very comfortable to me.

Not the contrast of Yamaha's brand and the Marc, sorry; but thought the rim comment might be of help to you. Incidentally, I'm so impressed I'm going to get at least one more of the Marc Shew models; preferably a 2, maybe a 1.75; perhaps all 4 of them. I am that impressed.

Blessings back at 'ya.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
trumpetangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha Shew's diameter is a tad wider with a more rounded bite than the Marcink Shew. Yamaha cup is more bowl shaped, the Cink is more v-shaped.The Yamaha backbore is actually a bit narrower than the Cink, it has a different shape.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with a Marcink Shew 1.25 model E10.3 and like it so far ... only a few days.

I've used the Yamaha Shew lead for a while and liked it but find the high register (G above high C and beyond) can get difficult to really open up. Also find articulating cleanly above high C to be a challenge.

The Marcink right away has a much fatter sound and more accurate attack, especially above high C and the extreme high end opens up. It also seems to have a softer feel on the lips.

Anyone have any comparisons between the other Marcink Shew models: Shew1/E14, Shew1.5/E9.1, Shew1.75/E8.4 and Shew2/E5.
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trpt Pro ... you may wanna try the Marcinkiewicz Ingram as it is a great piece as well and not quite as shallow as the E-14 ... yet, shallower than the 1.25. Thanks for the info.
Ole
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Roger Ingram Marcink Reply with quote

According to Roger Ingram's book his Marcinkiewicz mpc has the same cup as a Shew 1. Just the ouside diameter is a wee tighter which makes the cup feel deeper. I think he even said that in the book.
RogerIngram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outside AND inner diameters of the Marcinkiewicz Ingram are downsized by one size from the Shew #1. This made the mouthpiece work for me.

Roger
MY BOOK: http://onetootree.com/Books
FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/RogerIngramTrumpet
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, due you really play and record with that mouthpiece? Wow, you sound incredible!
RogerIngram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejweiss,

That's really nice of you to say. And yes, that's the mouthpiece I really use.

Have a great week,
Roger
MY BOOK: http://onetootree.com/Books
FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/RogerIngramTrumpet
KPC517
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played both the Yamaha Shew Lead and the Marc. 1.25,1.5,1.75, and 2. The Yammie Shew feels about the diameter of a 3C to me. The cup is more rounded. I love the Marc. shape, size and efficiency. It is more of a "CV" cup which, for me, works great. I used to play the 1.5 exclusively with my Yamaha 8335LA. I just recently purchased a 1963-64 Conn 36B and the 1.5 felt a little restrictive (maybe because of the bore of the horn?). I switched to the Marc. Shew 2 and it is a great match. Range did not suffer and the sound is a little bigger. The 1.5 has a .140 drill while the 2 has a .144 drill. I am going to get a 1.5 and open it up to .144 to see what happens. I love the Marcinkiewicz mouthpieces. With that being said, for some reason I can't get the 1.75 to work for me. I think you will be very happy with the Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece. Give Rogers a try also. For the price, you can't go wrong! Hope this helps.

Ken Case
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1.5, Shew 2
Shew Flugel
Chadwick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerIngram wrote:
The outside AND inner diameters of the Marcinkiewicz Ingram are downsized by one size from the Shew #1.

This is a pretty old thread (though with over 10K views), but just wanted to clarify that Marcinkiewicz today sets the Outer Diameter of the mass-market E12.4 Ingram at the same size as their E14 Shew 1's OD. See the trumpet.cloud comparator and the Marcinkiewicz specs chart.

As mentioned in this thread, both the Ingram E12.4 and the Yamaha Shew Lead (YSL) are fractionally deeper (~0.003") than the classic Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1. If you feel you could benefit from that extra chop room, you might like one of these E14 Shew 1 spinoffs:

Vennture Mouthpieces also has these three tops on file should you want to customize the design to your needs. The first one in the above list is in the latest version of VennCAD; the other two are in the STL column of the specs chart (they should also be included by default in a future VennCAD update). Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: