• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone use/like Bach 5B?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone started this thread, since I have just encountered the 5B for the first time in my playing career. About 2-3 months ago my grandson decided he wants to join the band and play trumpet. He is eleven years old. Since his parents are not brass players (my daughter played piano), they turned to me to give the lad some guidance. I recommended as a starter horn that they locate him an Olds Ambassador, which they did. We since have had it completely refurbished. That old horn plays great. Then I started my grandson on lessons.

Soon after he started lessons, I had him try a selection of mouthpieces. He had started out on a Bach 3C that came with the horn. After trying quite a few, he tried a Bach 6C. Immediately his notes became more centered, his tone improved 100%, and his range increased. So I switched him to the 6C. He has been practicing at least 30 minutes a day 5 days a week all summer now. I'm surprised at the improvement in his playing, especially for a rank beginner.

Well, the first day he showed up for band and without the teacher taking time to listen to him play, the teacher took one look at his mouthpiece and told him he disapproved of the 6C. Donovan would have to get a 5B.

I have not been able to get the teacher on the phone, but I wrote him an e-mail explaining how Donovan came to be playing the 6C. I explained I am instructing Donovan privately and asked if he would allow me to help Donovan select his equipment. So far the teacher has not responded, but I wrote him on a Friday afternoon so there is a good chance he hasn't seen my e-mail.

Frankly, I have never played a 5B. I really don't want my grandson to switch mouthpieces right now, because he is in such a good practice routine and is developing so well, I don't want to throw a road block in his way like making him switch to a mouthoiece that is more difficult for him to play or is more uncomfortable than the piece he is on. And frankly, I don't see anything wrong with learning to play on the 6C.

But I also don't want to cause Donovan any trouble with his band director, if the man refuses to budge. So I am encouraged by all the good things you folks have to say about the 5B. If the band director won't work with me, at least it looks like he is being intelligent in the mouthpiece he is insisting on. If Donovan has to switch, I'm going to buy a 5B for myself so I can acquire some experience with that piece. But I really am hoping the band director is a little bit flexible.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6C is a perfectly good mouthpiece. No need to switch.
70s Yamaha 738
80s King 650 flugel
90s Bach 184 cornet
90s Bach Strad 37
10s Carolbrass 5060 C trumpet
10s Schilke B5 trumpet
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Band director Reply with quote

The band director is probably a drummer. The 6C is an excellent mouthpiece and much more comfortable than the 7C or 5B IMO. The 6BM is also a pretty nice piece. It was the stock mouthpiece provided with Bach/Selmer/Bundy/Buescher mellophones. I think it comes with a larger backbore.

Tell the band director that the 5 rim hits a sharp spot on the kid's teeth and he can't use it. Or... tell him he's nuts. Didn't Conrad Gozzo play a 6C?
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still Trying wrote:

I have not been able to get the teacher on the phone, but I wrote him an e-mail explaining how Donovan came to be playing the 6C. I explained I am instructing Donovan privately and asked if he would allow me to help Donovan select his equipment. So far the teacher has not responded, but I wrote him on a Friday afternoon so there is a good chance he hasn't seen my e-mail.

Frankly, I have never played a 5B. I really don't want my grandson to switch mouthpieces right now, because he is in such a good practice routine and is developing so well, I don't want to throw a road block in his way like making him switch to a mouthoiece that is more difficult for him to play or is more uncomfortable than the piece he is on. And frankly, I don't see anything wrong with learning to play on the 6C.

I think you handled the situation well. Most kids just play what comes with the horn, so the director probably starts all kids on a 5B since it's a decent middle of the road mouthpiece.

At this point I don't think it will be a disaster to the kids development if he has to play on the 5B (or a 6C. 7C, etc).
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked this teacher up on the internet and it seems this guy is a trumpet player and apparently is a very fine band director. But he hasn't answered my e-mail, nor returned my phone messages. However, he hasn't said anything else to my grandson about swapping mouthpieces again, so until he does, I don't want to make an issue out of it. I agree with the poster above, I don't think it would be a catastrophe if he switched to a 5C. It just kind of irritates me some that a teacher would just look at a 6C mouthpiuece and announce that it won't do for a beginner. If I had started Donovan on an extremely small mouthpiece or an extremely large one, I could understand.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread but I just played the ACB 5B mouthpiece this morning and it has an even better tone than the Bach 5B I used to play and love but with a much more comfortable bite to the rim. In fact it is hands down one of the most comfortable mouthpieces I've had the chance to play. Just thought I'd mention this to anyone who was looking for a 5B with a more comfortable bite to the rim, the ACB 5B is a definitely winner!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CDFhorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the Benge 5B has just as good of a sound, and a much better rim than the Bach 5B, for an alternative under $30...
gerardo1000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Benge 5B !
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the same VB 5C from 17 - about 46 until the mpc literally wore out. I thn tried other people version of the 5C. Along the way I got interested in the 5B. I tried and bought many versions of the 5B including a VB and even had a custom one made.

For whatever reason, they all swelled my chops. But I never had problems with Curry's 5BC or the Curry's 5TF or TC.

Recently, I have found that a smaller diameter is to my advantage: the VB 10.5 world.

Thank you,
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Wedge 5B with my C trumpet. It's deeper then the 3C I use on my Bb, but dia. is almost exactly the same. Nice tone on the C.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an ancient thread!

I recently found a very old-like just after Mt Vernon- 5B.

Much more comfortable, a bit flatter, rim.

My main piece now!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: 5 b mouthpiece Reply with quote

Delete
Jupiter 9e short shank mouthpiece

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Bach 5 B mouthpieces Reply with quote

Happy to see your child has started playing .My primary instrument at this time is the cornet. In the past I did use Bach 5 B,5 C and the Bach Megatone 5 B trumpet mouthpieces. I was very happy with the Bach and Denis Wick mouthpieces.
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone play both a 5C and 5B, or are they too different? Are the rims different?
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 5 B mouthpieces Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Happy to see your child has started playing .My primary instrument at this time is the cornet. In the past I did use Bach 5 B,5 C and the Bach Megatone 5 B trumpet mouthpieces. I was very happy with the Bach and Denis Wick mouthpieces.

That child would be 24 years old today…..LOL
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Got love these old threads Reply with quote

Wonder how the trumpet journey was for the 24 year old? Got to love these old threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: