• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 800DLX - Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 3850 Cornet Reply with quote

bwoodard wrote:
I love my 3850. It is however a gurgle fest. I am constantly draining the water or else you get a gurgling. I was actually thinking about installing Joykeys on the leadpipe.

This might be caused by a burr inside the leadpipe at the location where Amado key is installed. To check, remove the tuning slide and shine the light into the leadpipe, or use a borescope if available.

Amado on the third valve slide can also have a burr that can be checked using a similar process as that for the tuning slide. To remove the third valve slide in 3850, one would need to unscrew one of trigger arm screws, taking care not to mar the finish / screw head.

A burr at the Amado key near the third valve loop (that waterkey is unique to 3850) would be more difficult to diagnose. If you are willing to disassemble the Amado, take great care to avoid pieces flying off - surround the Amado with a plastic bag when disassembling and when reassembling. Once the Amado retaining ring, backplate, spring and piston are removed, you could check for the presence of a burr by using an L-shaped paperclip going through the Amado hole.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody compared the 800 with the 800DLX and preferred the standard 800?
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is purely anecdotal, but I could count on one hand the number of people I have talked to that have played both and chose the 800 Eterna over the 800DLX. I can't say the same for the original 900 and 907 Eternas vs the 900DLX and 907DLX. I would estimate it is more of a 70/30 mix there. 70% preferring the Deluxes and 30% picking one of the originals.

The 3850 vs the 800DLX is a different story. If I had to I would give that more of a 50/50 split. Fans of the 3850 seem to be more torn when it comes to the 800DLX. I chalk that up to wildly different philosophies in the design. The 3850 is meant as a brass band cornet first and foremost while the 800DLX is intended to be more of an American style cornet that, in the right hands and with the right mouthpiece, will work in a brass band.

Again, this is by no means scientific. Based purely on my interactions with players.

Also, to anyone interested, we are having a sale on our Reverb store for President's Day. 5% off with code PRESIDENT23 starting this afternoon.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking here rather than in a PM, in case anyone else is interested:

Does anyone in Canada carry these instruments?
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Getzen retailer can get the 800DLX instruments. Whether or not they do or have any in stock is another story. If you visit https://www.getzen.com/dealers/ you can see a list of our retailers. I would say your best bet is to contact them and see what they have and that you are interested.

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for your help!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these cornets. (Thank you Brett.) Mine is silver plate.
I have no trouble at all with the spit valve near the bell. The tolerance is a little tight, but my finger easily fits on the lever and behind the bell. For giant fingered people, it may be another matter.
In just a couple of days of playing, I am discovering the versatility of this horn and how wonderfully you can color the sound. Different mouthpieces make a lot of difference, and I am still experimenting with them. I can envision having several with it to use according to what I will be playing and the instrument mix.
Since I got a "B" stock horn (very close to A for a B), I did not get the little case, so I cannot comment on it. The case I did get is nice, roomy, well-made, and has two mouthpiece holders.
Everything absolutely first class.
It is a wonderful horn.
Pic: Kanstul 920
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Std
Bass Tr: BAC Custom
Nat. Tr: Nikolai Mänttäri Morales Haas replica
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am discovering the versatility of this horn and how wonderfully you can color the sound. Different mouthpieces make a lot of difference, and I am still experimenting with them. I can envision having several with it to use according to what I will be playing and the instrument mix.

I completely agree. The 800DLX is a wonderfully versatile horn. I've settled on one mouthpiece for 90% of my playing, but deeper and shallower cups do seem to make a considerable difference in the sound. Enjoy your new horn!

BTW, the case is very attractive and well constructed, but the only thing I use it for is storage. It's not terribly practical (for me) for gigs or rehearsals as it lacks storage space, a shoulder strap, etc.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I've settled on one mouthpiece for 90% of my playing, but deeper and shallower cups do seem to make a considerable difference in the sound. Enjoy your new horn!

Thank you.
Out of curiosity, and perhaps a hint toward more experiments, what mouthpiece did you settle on?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Out of curiosity, and perhaps a hint toward more experiments, what mouthpiece did you settle on?

I generally use a Pickett 3BC (with a Pickett 1.5 backbore) on my 800DLX, compared to a Pickett 3CD on Bb trumpet. It is deep enough to bring out the warmth in the sound while still offering me a lot of versatility.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that new case!

Way cool that the forum gets manufacturers posting.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

I generally use a Pickett 3BC (with a Pickett 1.5 backbore) on my 800DLX, compared to a Pickett 3CD on Bb trumpet. It is deep enough to bring out the warmth in the sound while still offering me a lot of versatility.

Thanks @Dayton. I know nothing about Pickett mouthpieces, but it is another place to go on safari while I am experimenting. Like you, I tend to stick to the same rim on most of my Bb mouthpieces, so that is a great hint at how to approach it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: