• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Signature Series with C Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtr1023

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:40 am    Post subject: Yamaha Signature Series with C Trumpet Reply with quote

Hey there!

I'm currently playing on a Bach Philly C Trumpet with a stock Yamaha 17B4 mouthpiece. Since the horn and mouthpiece are already on the tighter side I was looking to go to one of the similar Yamaha Signature Models.

I've noticed that the Gould, Sullivan, and Hooten are all similar models to the 17B4.

Which would you recommend?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the Gould or Sullivan models, but in case it helps, my recollection is that the Hooten model felt a lot like a 17B4 with a somewhat more open blow. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sullivan is big. I played on one for a while, I think the specs come out close to a Bach 1B with something like a 22 throat. I loved the sound but it was not worth the loss of endurance and efficiency.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all three, the Sullivan, Hooten, and Gould Yamaha mouthpieces and am currently using the Hooten on my early Elhart Bach CL 229 with a Ken Larsen leadpipe. The Sullivan works well but I find the sound is a bit more focused and the articulation is a bit cleaner with the Hooten.

All three mouthpieces work well and Yamaha is noted for consistency. All three can be purchased relatively inexpensively, especially if you can find them used. I would try to find all three and see what works best.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with Gould or Hooten. Gould is the most similar in rim to the 17B4 (if you're planning on keeping the stock piece for your Bb work).

Hooten is a better optimized C piece, but if you're planning on keeping the 17B4 for Bb, then it's a bit more challenging back and forth.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Eric Aubier, which often gets forgotten about. It's similar to a 17B4 with a 25 throat. I find the Hooten the best of the three you mentioned - more open, but not too spread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: