• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Protecting a Flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjcousin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Protecting a Flugelhorn Reply with quote

OK, so I have done some searching here and found some really old threads with pictures I can't see. and I know there's the usual debate about using a "valve guard" or not. I don't care about debating the effect on sound, etc.

SO, how about a new beautiful flugelhorn?
How can this thing be protected?

I believe I do have acidic sweat, and I pretty much ruined my high school silver Bach 43*'s valve block.

I bought a black matte Phaeton flugelhorn which looked great at first, and I used a valve guard. But, too much life happened to it and there's much wear on it...especially where the right hand reaches over the bell pipe pipe and the second valve slide...things like this where typical protectors don't cover.

SO - what's a fella to do to protect the next new flugelhorn from all this wear when I get a new beautiful one (that won't be black matte or silver)??? Say...satin, or antique...or maybe something else probably.

Thanks in advance,
John
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Leather Specialties Company. I used one of their valve casing protectors for my Benge. I also got a bell protector as well because the silver plating as very thin.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of guards - I think they trap moisture and grit that ultimately cause as many issues, and there is the affect on how hands fit on the instrument / finger & hand position. Arguably tone of the instrument is affected too.

I fully understand that some have this issue - check your diet, wash your hands just before playing, maybe try some working hand protective cream(s), and wipe the horn off after use with a soft non-abrasive cloth (microfibre cloths are excellent).

Then, I recently had an old trumpet refurbished, it's raw brass, and the company put a polish on the horn to keep the shine and protect the brass. Which gave me the idea of getting a high quality carnauba wax to keep up the protective coating. A "hard drying paste wax"
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you need to come at this from a different angle.

Some flugelhorns sold on eBay feature a care kit that includes gloves . . .

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I do not like valve guards. I actually like to feel a horn vibrate in my hand, and my experience is a valve guard dampens that vibration.

Although my body has changed as it has become more "vintage," I used to have what I believed to be a very high degree of body skin "acid" (for lack of a better term). I was known to eat through the plating on horns in a very short amount of time.

Although that has changed through the years (it has lessened), there's something that I still do with all of my horns, whether they're silver or lacquered. This is something that Joe Marcinkiewicz showed me and it works wonderfully.

Wherever there will be skin contact on my horns, I apply a good layer of clear nail polish. It's basically lacquer, and it does a terrific job of protecting the horn. So around the valve casing, under the lead pipe where my thumb goes, any finger hooks or rings - they all get a regular application of clear nail polish.

Eventually I do wear through it and I simply reapply.

HINT!: If you're going to do this, let the nail polish dry completely before you put it back in any case. And especially a case that has a furry or fuzzy case lining.

It's worth a try. I know there are others with differing opinions but for me it works. Give it a try to see if it gives you the results you're looking for.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=147567&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Then, I recently had an old trumpet refurbished, it's raw brass, and the company put a polish on the horn to keep the shine and protect the brass. Which gave me the idea of getting a high quality carnauba wax to keep up the protective coating. A "hard drying paste wax"

Very curious about this. Have you been able to try it yet?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=147567&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
zaferis wrote:

Very curious about this. Have you been able to try it yet?

Yes, seems to be working (5 months in) as the raw brass still has a nice clean look without any polishing. Since the horn came back from the shop, I applied one coat of wax.. seems to be working. It's not my everyday horn but no signs of my hand or fingerprints on it anywhere.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Protecting a Flugelhorn Reply with quote

jjcousin wrote:
SO - what's a fella to do to protect the next new flugelhorn from all this wear when I get a new beautiful one (that won't be black matte or silver)??? Say...satin, or antique...or maybe something else probably.

Thanks in advance,
John

IMO, get a lacquered flugel. Run - don't walk - far and fast from any silver plated instruments. The idea that silver plating resonates better than lacquer went out the door when those finishes ceased to be nitrocellulose lacquer and they moved to polyester and epoxy resin finishes which are much thinner, yet much more resilient to things like hand sweat.

As an example, in my own experience, I'd always gotten silver plated horns, and within 4-5 years or so the finish around the valves was just trashed.

By contrast my most recent trumpet, a lacquered Jupiter 1600i, still looks practically brand new, and that horn was gigged hard for a while. It's seen a lot of use. It still looks so good that I tend to think of it as my "new" trumpet, even though I've had it since 2015. I have one small spot of wear on it, which is my own fault - on the nickel tubing coming off of the 3rd valve slide there's a spot where the finish is worn away, and that was caused by the fact that I use a split finger grip with my left hand, and my wedding band rubbed a spot there.

My flugel is an ACB Doubler that I've had since 2013 and the finish still looks great on that too.

TLDR: buy a lacquered flugel.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: