• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Triple Trumpet Rolling Case That Can Fit in Overhead

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Triple Trumpet Rolling Case That Can Fit in Overhead Reply with quote

Hi, I know there are several threads similar to this, but they're all at least a couple of years old. I'm looking for a protective triple trumpet case that rolls and can fit in overhead when flying. It needs to be able to fit my Bb, C, and piccolo trumpets as well as a quad mouthpiece pouch. I'm leaning toward a Raw Brass Junior but would appreciate any other suggestions (including thoughts on the Protec Zip case if you have experience with it https://www.protecstyle.com/SINGLE-DOUBLE-TRIPLE-TRUMPET-ABS-PLASTIC-ZIP-CASE-BLACK).

Thanks!

www.christianmcivormusic.com
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it MUST be on wheels, then yes you kind of covered the available cases (unless you can snag an old Coyote). The Raw Brass won't fit overhead on the smaller (1 seat on the left 2 on the right) planes and I assume the ProTec as well.

The weight of the Raw Brass is nearly double (claimed by manufacturer 12-14lbs) that of the protec (claimed 7.37lbs). If you're never gate checking, then I'd go with the protec. If gate checking, then go with Raw Brass.

Unsolicited advice - lose the wheels; you're way more likely to get it on the plane. That is unless you absolutely love wearing a backpack while traveling/have a medical condition precluding weight on your back.
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the reply. I suppose it doesn't HAVE to fit on planes - I have a Stomvi quad I can use for that and I don't fly all that often anyways. I'm more interested in something that would be good for everyday use that has wheels, fitting on overhead in planes would just be a nice plus. I'm often walking long distances with my stuff though and I already carry a backpack most of the time for mutes, laptop, etc., so I'd like the convenience of a rolling case in a compact-ish size.

abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmac3317 wrote:
'm often walking long distances with my stuff though and I already carry a backpack most of the time for mutes, laptop, etc., so I'd like the convenience of a rolling case in a compact-ish size.

Got it! I was a rollie-boi for many years. I had an earlier iteration of the Pro-tec and currently have the Raw Brass (2.5). While the Raw-brass is better/higher quality overall, the weight of it (again 12-14lbs) made it a harsher and louder "ride" on rough surfaces (like your standard sidewalk) than the Pro-tec. I ended up hand-carrying it often because of these qualities. As a result of the Raw-Brass years, I ended up preferring a non-wheeled case to sling over a shoulder even with the backpack.

In summary, I'd choose the protec over the raw-brass if long distance rolling, outside of airports is the goal.
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Protec Triple which will hold three full size trumpets with a large front pouch which can hold music and a quad mouthpiece case with room to spare. Mine came with a variety of pads which can be used to secure smaller horns.

Clearly the Raw Brass is sturdier than the Protec, but it is considerable more expensive. I don't like back pack cases so I find the wheels on my Protec preferable. As long as you take care of the Protec, it will last a long time.

Although I have not seen a Raw Brass in person, from the pictures on the website, the interior protection seems similar to the Protec. Perhaps someone here on the Forum has been able to see both up close and can offer their observations.

If I ever had to check a trumpet case, I would only use a dedicated flight case, of which I have one for a single Bb or smaller and a trumpet/flugel with wheels. The trumpet/flugel case alone weighs about 60 lbs. so it is expensive to check on a plane.
TJTS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a Raw Brass case in the past and it is far superior than most cases on the market other than a Wiseman. If you have expensive horns, please buy a protective case like a Raw Brass or a Wiseman. Both will easily fit in an overhead. Also, both of those options would survive a gate check if it ever would to happen. The same cannot be said for most other brands.
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone see why this wouldn't be comparable to a Raw Brass case (maybe after adding some additional padding/blocks?

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/carry-on-case/protector/1510?sku=015100-0040-110

DrewB

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Triple Trumpet Rolling Case Reply with quote

I have both the Raw Brass Junior and a Pelican, that was given to me…Currently the Raw Brass is my go to for Bb and Flugel. The Pelican is used for storing horns with the foam padding (Amazon). I’m in the process of acquiring Gard Taco inserts in an attempt to simplify the packing of the RB Jr. I didn’t like the Protec roller, as the cover seemed flimsy and it didn’t look like it would really protect the horns. I don’t travel with two horns much anymore, but I wouldn’t trust my horns to any case other than the RBJr. Just my .02 cents.
cmac3317
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! What makes RB Junior Better than the Pelican in your opinion? And what foam from Amazon are you referring to that you use with the Pelican?

DrewB

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject: Triple trumpet rolling case that can fit in the overhead Reply with quote

The Pelican is the model 1510. The foam is a four piece replacement foam for the 1510. Both are available from Amazon. The foam, while effective is a pain to use. Unless you have a perfectly square and smooth horn, all the edges catch on the horn. Plus, you need to use a bag around your horn. The RBjr is a much better case. I tried to buy the linings and insides of the case, but Raw Brass wouldn’t return my emails. Next try is the Gard Taco. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: