• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3rd Valve Slide Stopper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: 3rd Valve Slide Stopper Reply with quote

So, I have an old Benge that plays great. For years, it had parts of the 3rd slide stop rod assembly that were missing (one of the posts, the stop rod, nuts). My slide didn’t fall on the floor, so it was fine.

Not that long ago, since I work at a place that repairs instruments, I got the requisite parts and got it kind of working. One thing that I’ll note about the mechanism on a Benge is that I don’t think it’s a great design. The stop rod is just screwed in and is always working it way loose on mine. In addition, because it’s a Benge, the posts aren’t perfectly lined up so the rod had to be bend slightly to function correctly.

Anyway, I had to fiddle with my slide yesterday and took the rod out. I had to play again before I got it back in, and woh, did it play freer and resonanate better without all of that stuff (like it did before I got it “fixed”).

I’m starting to wonder if there a few reasons Benges always seem be missing parts of their stop rod assembly...

So, I’m going to try to secure my slide with something less intrusive like some string? Anyone have any suggestions for something that’s easier to untie or detach? Are there hair bands that open and close?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've suggested this before with no one seeming interested, but it does work well for me. Maybe my "word picture" is too blurry. I'd post a picture if I knew how.

It may not work on every horn, but on my Conn 28A I've used two zip ties, one on the bottom of the main tuning slide and the other on the third valve slide. Clip off the excess ribbon and position the heads/pawls so that they collide when the slide is out as far as you want it to go. Don't make it too tight; you can rotate one of the tie heads out of the way to remove the slide.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you do to an instrument may change the way it plays, as you found out. I usually secure the threaded a-rod into the post with solder. It is a bit of a trick to line them up, but try securing the guide post between the two a-rod nuts to hold it in place when soldering.

A tweak I just finished on my 3X+ was a patch on the knuckle between the 1st and 2nd valve casings. I made two patches and tried them one at a time, and then both on the two knuckles between the casings. The pitch and intensity, or "core," of the sound changed dramatically. Top line "F" was right on the money with only one patch, so that's what I went with.

You can really drive yourself crazy w/this stuff, but I find it fun.
https://yourbrass.com/
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use clear hair ties to keep my 3rd valve slide from extending while doing plunger work, quick must changes, page turns etc.. show stuff. Stretch them enough that I can still extend the slide to pitch correction. They also don't mess up the finish. (no rubber bands!). I loop them around a 2nd valve tubing (remove the slide and place the tie around one tube so it won't fall off) and then over the finger ring - I can pop it off the finger ring when I don't want or need it, then it just hangs from the 2nd valve pipe.

On my Bach C turmpet, I had a Blackburn type slide stop added. Small, low mass, easy, and effective.
I'm sure a qualified tech could make a modification if you wanted to go that route.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always disliked the stop rod thing on my Benge, and other horns that had them, but I’ve been hesitant to mess with things especially on the third valve slide.
They just seem like a clunky way to accomplish what a stop screw will.

I did have Doctor Valve convert the stop rod to a stop screw on my Wild Thing, but since that’s how the later WT’s came equipped, and Steve certainly knows his stuff, it worked out fine, no change in play characteristics that I can tell. What he did looks exactly like the later WTs.

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Yamaha silicone slide stopper. Easy to put on and take off. Inexpensive. Because it's silicone, it won't tarnish the finish like some rubber bands and hair bands would.

Piccolo Stomvi
Acludwig1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year and a half ago I bought a Kanstul French Besson Stamm Model to use as my main horn and the screw stop on the 3rd slide had somehow become unsoldered. The slide stayed in place but I didn’t want to risk it falling out and denting so I just used the largest hair tie I could find until I ended up having a 3rd slide stop from a Bach Stradivarius installed.

As for the Benge, I know someone who plays a newer Benge 5X and one of the stop rod pegs is broken off. Perhaps the soldier just isn’t good?
Jimbosan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1948 Benge that has a complete 3rd valve stop. The rod is firmly attached to the rear post. I put a small o-ring on the end of the rod to prevent the nuts from falling off. The slide works as slick as any of my trumpets. If your rod is coming loose, you can try using blue lock-tight to keep it from coming off. You could also use red lock-tight but you would need to use heat if you ever had to remove it.

'47 Holton48
'47 Conn22b
'48 Benge
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'78 Getzen Eterna
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds,DEG Bugles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: