• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Love - Newbie 1st Post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Cornet Love - Newbie 1st Post Reply with quote

Cornet love from freshman college time. I went to the same Pawn Shop where I bought a trumpet. Some old Cornet was in stock and the sound was spot on what I wanted. After college, life and no playing. Retired and Cornet - ology is a great hobby.

Love the look. Love the feel. Love the less piercing but brassy sound.

Gear tips on mellowing / darkening mouthpieces, guitar syn pedals, pick up mic, tiny amps.

Interests in fusion, rock jazz, Messiaen, Dolphy, Zappa, Varese, Audacity tricks.

Hobby.

Thank you for providing this great forum. Been in here a lot as guest. Treasures!

Last edited by DAVIDTHEWRITER on Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Bach 3 ( no letter )
for even darker Wick 4B....lots of people seem to prefer Curry
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand your post correctly, you have returned to cornet playing after a long absence. If the return is recent, you may have a hard time getting the sound you want right now. That will change as you rebuild your skills and endurance.

Give the 5B a try for a while. If the 5 rim is about right for you, or was when you were playing regularly, then the 5B is likely a decent starting point. You can definitely find deeper mouthpieces (5A, 5V) but I wouldn't suggest starting your return there.

Also worth noting that throat, backbore, cup shape, and the rim contour (may) vary by model; it's not just the cup depth that changes.

Also, if you are desiring a warmer sound is that based on what you hear as you play the cornet or what you hear when you record yourself? You might be surprised by the difference, and might already be closer to your ideal sound than you realize.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach no letter or A cup will give you a more mellow tone than a B cup. If you really want to go mellow, buy a Wick 4…
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the warm and encouraging welcome. Exactly the sort of MP advice that I wanted.

Here's a tip if you like collecting vintage brass. The eBay sellers are desperate to sell the brass because they don't play. It's just old band gear to the sellers.

Click that WATCH button.

Except for auctions, I absolutely guarantee you that an offer of BIN 20% - 50% off asking from EVERY seller will arrive in less than 24 hours.

Every time.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you have identified the big impact that mouthpiece choice has on the sound of a cornet. Early 1900 cornet mouthpieces were very deep v shaped, almost like a French horn mouthpiece, and delivered a deep mellow sound. Sometime later cornet mouthpieces in the U.S. became more like trumpet mouthpieces with much shallower cups. This resulted in cornets sounding more like trumpets. Most British brass band players now use a deep mouthpiece but not necessarily with a v shape to get the desired round mellow tone. Many use Wick cornet mouthpieces. I like the sound I get with a Curry 2 BBC.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wick no letter plus several months is needed to get the true sound. Once you have adapted, it will be difficult to go back. Everything else will sound harsh.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Wick no letter

The difference between DW no letter and B is substantial in terms of sound and playability, but if you get the no letter working the way you want, then the B version should get you close enough still (but might be easier to play, especially for high notes). Denis Wick mouthpieces are also quite affordable, not to mention used ones are easy to find and even cheaper, so you can pick up a few to try and compare them for relatively little money.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Richard III wrote:
Wick no letter

The difference between DW no letter and B is substantial in terms of sound and playability, but if you get the no letter working the way you want, then the B version should get you close enough still (but might be easier to play, especially for high notes). Denis Wick mouthpieces are also quite affordable, not to mention used ones are easy to find and even cheaper, so you can pick up a few to try and compare them for relatively little money.

I looked on eBay and was quite surprised by the D W selection for cornet. And like you say, good value investment for something that lasts forever and could potentially finish the pursuit of that particular timbre.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this chart useful to make some sense of all the stuff they have available.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
You may find this chart useful to make some sense of all the stuff they have available.

Very interesting and useful. Given the prices and selection, I foresee a DW mouthpiece in my future.
Rwwilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This overlay chart shows the cup depths for Curry mouthpieces.

https://www.currympc.com/Mouthpiece-Overlays.html
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Short shank cornet mouthpieces sound Reply with quote

What brand and model of cornet do you play? Is it an American wrap or a Shephards crook cornet? Do you have short shank or long shank mouthpieces?
I started back playing about two months ago. Recently learned that the sound of long shank mouthpieces is to loud for my tastes.
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Jupiter 9e short shank mouthpiece
Bach 5 B long shank cornet mouthpiece ŕ
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rwwilson wrote:
This overlay chart shows the cup depths for Curry mouthpieces.

https://www.currympc.com/Mouthpiece-Overlays.html

Very informative.

At the risk of over reducing, if I applied our list of Mellow & Warm cornet mouthpieces to equivalent trumpet mouthpiece models, would that trumpet play more cornetatiously?

Even at my light experience, my Bach 7C cornet MP is clearly different sounding than my CONN 4 cornet mouthpiece. Not night and day and until I'm recording, I'm just hearing the playing, so I'm not going to say it's obviously more trumpet like. And those two may not be drastically different enough for substantial differences one can put finger on while playing.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portfolio

Trumpet

Getzen 400 Series

FAXX 7C trumpet mouthpiece

Cornets - Auditions - Ongoing Vintage Bargain Shopping

Month long leader 1960s era CONN DIRECTOR was recently cut; in the running for backup, however

1960s era KING 602 Cleveland - leading cornet auditions as of 29 April

1960s era HOLTON -COLLEGIATE - cut. Did not sound as cornet as the KING 602.

* VINCENT BACH 5B mouthpiece for all cornet auditioning.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

I love all my horns. The cornet role is fluid thanks to online glut of band brass. It's bargains bargains bargains for vintage band horns.

Last edited by DAVIDTHEWRITER on Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:59 am; edited 7 times in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Profile Reply with quote

Hi David,
Have you filled out your profile?
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Jupiter 9e short shank mouthpiece
Bach 5 B long shank cornet mouthpiece ŕ
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Short shank cornet mouthpieces sound Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
What brand and model of cornet do you play? Is it an American wrap or a Shephards crook cornet? Do you have short shank or long shank mouthpieces?

My Olds Super has a trumpet receiver, so I generally play it with that, using it as a backup horn for travel and outdoors gigs. I’m not really a cornet player though, and even if I were, in my country cornets are primarily used for brassband music. Even with a proper mouthpiece an Olds Super wouldn’t suffice for that. I’m working on adjusting a mouthpiece adapter to allow it to be played with cornet mouthpieces as well, but due to lack of tooling, sanding down the size it taking a while.

The Olds Super would be great for small combo jazz, except I also have an Olds Recording trumpet that’s much, much better for it (gets real mellow with a cornet-like mouthpiece).

And to top things off, my flugelhorn has a receiver sized for cornet mouthpieces. Been using a Denis Wick 2 for a while to get a real French horn-like sound out of it. But it was hard play evenly over the entire scale. Somewhat accidently I got a Breslmair cornet mouthpiece for it which sounds almost as good, but very even for the entire instrument range (and is much easier to play).

Even though I rarely play cornet, I really like them. Wouldn’t mind trying a Recording cornet some day.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
sd4f
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Yamaha 16E and won't miss an opportunity to tell anyone who cares about it

It's a huge mouthpiece, while it gets a good dark sound, it doesn't quite feel its size, where I've found it to be a better playing mouthpiece than DW4 for instance. It can be a bit too big for some instruments though, which result in getting flat in the high register.
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auditioning newly arrived vintage student edition cornet. It's a reasonably good condition KING 602 CLEVELAND

#331399 birthdate is depending on source, early/middle 1960s?

After hot soapy bath and drowning in Yamaha syn valve oil, sounds nice. Valves and springs looked almost pristine and moving quickly. Not as quiet as Getzen valves but quieter than the Director horns I own.

Using a V B 5B mouthpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: