• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Scodwell/Vax model trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaxtrpts
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Scodwell/Vax model trumpet Reply with quote

I haven't been on trumpet herald for quite some time. Glad to be back. There is always much interesting material to read. I know Tony Scodwell put up information on the horn that we designed together. My leaving Warburton had nothing to do with his product. Terry makes GREAt stuff and I am still playing his mouthpieces. It just had to do with some business differences. I had planned on just going back to one of my vintage horns to play, but in talking with Tony, he said he would be happy to make me a horn. We worked extensively in his shop and came up with the easiest horn I have ever played. I had not planned on having another signature horn on the market, but Tony said that this horn was too good not to put out, so here we are with a new signature horn. As Lee Walkowich at Washington muisc told me, he can own any trumpet he desires and he plays a Scodwell. I have to agree with him. This horn has in many ways, revitalized this 81 year old player and really helped with range and endurance, while giving me a wonderfully clear and resonant sound. It will be available for purchase from Chuck Levin's Washington Music within the next month or six weeks.
friendsofbigbandjazz.net
prescottjazzsummit.net
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Mr. Vax-

I was just thinking about your new Vax trumpet. I read Tony’s description and was intrigued. You being one of my very favorite trumpet players, I am now giving this instrument serious consideration. Have you had a chance to record anything on it?

I am going to put your album, Transforming Traditions, on now to help get me in the mood to buy one of your horns! “Day by Day” is my favorite cut.

Steve

Last edited by Winghorn on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
vaxtrpts
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Scodwell/Vax model trumpet Reply with quote

Good to hear from you. Steve. I haven't done any recording with the new horn yet. I do have to say that I love the sound I am getting on it. So glad you like the Transforming Traditions CD. We worked very hard on all those charts to make that recording. I have actually put together a newer version of the band here in Arizona and have played a few gigs with it. Great fun.
friendsofbigbandjazz.net
prescottjazzsummit.net
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that I like Tony Scodwell’s playing very much as well!
vaxtrpts
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I spoke too soon about when a good number of horns might be ready. (i'm really excited about this project.) I'm sure Tony and Lee Walkowich will post more information as it is available.
friendsofbigbandjazz.net
prescottjazzsummit.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: