• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Legit doubling mouthpiece for Yamaha Shew lead player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trollet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Legit doubling mouthpiece for Yamaha Shew lead player Reply with quote

Hi! I primarily play high alpha angle pieces for most of my work, and would like to keep doing that even when i switch pieces for different timbres. So my main piece is a Yamaha bobby shew lead, and i've tried alot of pieces including the Shew 1 Marc (i own it). So for my question:
What is a good doubler mouthpiece for a less strident sound when my primary piece is a high alpha angle style. Maybe going custom taking the exact rim shap and feel on the lips and going for a double cup sort of design? Any advice is appreciated, and yes i know this is super nerdy and practice is the key and mouthpiece doesnt make a difference and so on.

PS:

Ive tried doubling between bach pieces and bigger pieces but my lips get accoustoumed to the more shop room so it does not work that well.

So, a piece that feels shallow on the lips, but plays big? Any takers?
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just contact Jim New or your mouthpiece maker of your choice and send him a copy of your present mouthpiece and tell him you want the same rim shape and diameter but deeper for legit work?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention it, so I must ask: have you tried the Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Legit doubling mouthpiece for Yamaha Shew lead player Reply with quote

Trollet wrote:
Ive tried doubling between bach pieces and bigger pieces but my lips get accoustoumed to the more shop room so it does not work that well.

So, a piece that feels shallow on the lips, but plays big? Any takers?

-----------------------------------------
It seems you want the same 'lip feel' as a Shew Lead (including the lip 'confinement'), but that gives the sound of a 'legit' mouthpiece.

I wonder if a Shew Lead could be modified to give the desired sound. Something like a Lead cup, with Jazz underpart sizing.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trumpetangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Radke made me a custom set of mouthpieces based on the GR63XES, which is his take on the Shew 1.They all have the 63XES rim, which is close to the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1 or Yamaha Shew rim. If interested get in touch with Brian Scriver and ask about the 63XES-M and 63XES-S.There is also a 63XES-FD and a Flugelhorn model.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - you could change the sound a good deal with a different backbore.

YAMAHA 14A4A vs. YAMAHA BOBBY SHEW LEAD

Your back bore is tight compared to a Yamaha 14A4A which is on the tight side.

Fortunately, Yamaha mouthpieces are not too expensive so you could buy a new one, send it to a mouthpiece maker and have the top cut and threaded for Warburton style backbores. There are many backbores that can still give you resistance but are darker sounding. That would be the first step.

If you still needed to take the edge off more, have the cup modified so the "entrance" to the throat is more V like - sort of like the Bach 3E
BACH 3E vs. YAMAHA BOBBY SHEW LEAD

That would not affect the alpha angle you are used to but changing the throat entrance and backbore can change your tolerance for high alpha.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read somewhere that one of the Canadian Brass original players liked a small rim, but wanted more cup volume and played on a custom piece that had for lack of a better term, an undercut. After the rim angles into the cup, the cup was actually larger than the rim. Hard to explain, maybe someone with better knowledge of this can clarify...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: