• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 4335 vs 5335 for adult beginner ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiBrass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Yamaha 4335 vs 5335 for adult beginner ? Reply with quote

Hi I’m in my mid fifties, play the cornet (also as a beginner of 2 months), but I want a Trumpet too due to the type of bands I want to play with.

I’ve looked at Yamaha and am wondering if the 5335 is necessary and worth the extra money over the 4335 at my level? I want something that will be good enough to last me through the grades. Or even would the 3335 be enough? I like the sound of the reverse lead pipe.

On the other hand would I be better off spending the same amount on a used horn (it would need to be grade A as I just can’t get my head round battered up instruments.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Japan made 4335G for awhile. I didn’t really need it, but the price was right, and I wanted to try it because it generally got very good reviews. I did like it very much, great valves, pretty good sound. Felt like a „tame“ version of my Bach. Wouldn’t hesitate to take it to a gig (and my former colleague used it as her primary horn - worked just fine). Would make a nice legit and all around horn.

Never played a 5335.

Would like to test a 3335 - have been looking for one for a while. That one is said to be bright and powerful. People I talked to said it’s a loud instrument and supposedly it’s more suited for commercial music.

So, depending on your goals the 3335 or the 4335 might get you there. For starting out, I guess the 4335 is more versatile.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you want a brand new horn you could get a pretty good used pro horn for the same cost or not much more than a new 4335. By pretty good I mean in excellent condition, maybe with a few light scratches or 90+% perfect cosmetically with no dents, with a return option from a reliable seller or dealer if you don’t like it or if it has an issue when you get it.

Really good used Bach Strads can be had for the cost of a new 4335, and similar or maybe a tad more for a used pro Yamaha… You could probably find other good condition pro level used horns for even less.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have limited experience with the 4335 and the 5335, but they sounded quite similar, and I didn't get the sense that there was otherwise a big difference.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested a 4335S recently, and owned a 5335S awhile back. For me, the 4335 felt like a really excellent student horn, while the 5335 was a bit heavier, and felt like an entry-level “pro-ish” horn. I would definitely prefer the 5335, but for starting out really almost anything will do for now, just start getting practice time in…
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a second thought, Rhondo is right: you might get more out of a used horn. Either get a 4335 used and save some money there or spend the amount you had planned for the 4335 to buy a used pro horn. Just in case, resale value is much better than on a new horn, provided you buy a quality used horn.

Even if you want a near perfect horn visually you may save some money on a used horn (my 4335 looked near new and only cost me 300 EUR not too long ago, including a visit to a tech to get the technical side perfect). Not sure about the second hand market situation in the UK, though.

Sometimes just waiting patiently and then a quick action may get you a great deal (ask me how I know ).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're talking about used pro horns vs. a new 4335, there are a lot of used Benge 3Xs at about $1,200.00. That would be an excellent choice, if you're talking about a versatile horn. The only thing I wouldn't use mine for would be in hard-core orchestral playing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
MultiBrass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:12 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone so far for your helpful replies. I look forward to other comments if anyone has anything to add.
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the 5335 over the 4335.

The 5335 (sold as the Allegro in the US at least) is a standard 6335 professional model with a 2-piece bell instead of a 1-piece. They are great players and if you can find one used they are an excellent value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: