• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jack Farina RIP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:49 pm    Post subject: Jack Farina RIP Reply with quote

I know my good friend of many years was not a trumpet player but friends of his in the midwest might like to know that Jack Farina passed away last Sunday. Jack was a gifted drummer who led his big band for many years and I had the pleasure of performing with him many times. When I was still in high school Jack had a trio playing nightly at a supper club which I often sat in with. Down Beat magazine at that time had a "Hall Of Fame" scholarship for the Berklee School of Music with both Jr. and Sr. divisions available at all levels. I took my little recording set up in one night and recorded a piece called "Air Conditioned" which I had heard on a Maynard recording. No high notes just straight ahead blues. To my surprise I won the full scholarship in the Jr. division. Thanks to Jack for the many years of great back up.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Farina RIP Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I know my good friend of many years was not a trumpet player but friends of his in the midwest might like to know that Jack Farina passed away last Sunday. Jack was a gifted drummer who led his big band for many years and I had the pleasure of performing with him many times. When I was still in high school Jack had a trio playing nightly at a supper club which I often sat in with. Down Beat magazine at that time had a "Hall Of Fame" scholarship for the Berklee School of Music with both Jr. and Sr. divisions available at all levels. I took my little recording set up in one night and recorded a piece called "Air Conditioned" which I had heard on a Maynard recording. No high notes just straight ahead blues. To my surprise I won the full scholarship in the Jr. division. Thanks to Jack for the many years of great back up.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

I'm sorry for your loss Tony.

Is this the band you're referring to?

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:20 pm    Post subject: Jack Farina Big Band Reply with quote

Yes, that's Jack's band with his faithful dancers who supported him.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
some_blue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ... Sorry for your loss
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony-

I, too, am sorry for your loss and appreciate learning about a a gifted musician who helped you on your way to distinguished career.

Sincerely,

Steve Allison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: