• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

To freak or not to freak

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zackh411
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: To freak or not to freak Reply with quote

number juan wrote:
Do you think some people are just freaks at playing high, or do you think they just happened to learn to play with their lips in the perfect place for developing an extreme register? So natural gift, or just luck?

I absolutely think it's the second one. A bit of luck. Luck only gets you a bad start, however... Even those that got really lucky (Wayne Bergeron, for instance) have put in a tremendous amount of work.

I'm an example of it not being a gift. I've added octaves to my range with practice, not luck.

Lead Piece: Custom PickettBrass
Jazz Piece: Custom Curry TC
Legit Piece: Yamaha Shew Jazz (18 Drill)
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that it is hard work that gets you the accuracy (AKA being able to STABLY chromatic up to a Double C every time), but I do have to say their is definitely some level of "Freak" that certain people naturally have. I for example, have only been working on my range for maybe two years tops and I can already hammer out a Super C on command. That doesn't mean I can hammer a chromatic up to it though. All it means is that I can slot it every time at ear-splitting volume. In all reality I'm only securely accurate up to a Double G, even though I can chromatic up past Double C if I try my absolute hardest.
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
herbievantetering

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a difficult subject; the "higear logear" and "squeeks to notes" are a good starting point, together with solid theory & analysis on 'embouchure' and upper register 'excercises' from the top high note instructors.

However, the difference is in practicing music and using a small percentage outside of the 'attained muscle memory' from 'excercises' to play high with a nice sound and in a musical way for the 'correct muscle memory'.

High note lead playing is way to demanding, much better to dial it down and stay relaxed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: