• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

LES BEIGEL (TRUMPET) LAST LIVING MEMBER OF GLENN MILLER ORCH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning 93 has taken away Les Beigel's ability to walk or hear nearly as well as he once did. Sometimes the ex Redmond Wa. Resident gives the impression has touble keeping track of his own age....

However, the last living member of the famous Glenn Miller Orchestra can still BELT OUT A FAT AND FULL TRUMPET SOUND WITH SWING AND FEELING JUST AS INSTENSE AND STRONG as if it were 1937 all over again.
Beigel may need help getting from his room to the main dining hall at the Regent at Sterling Park assisted living facility here in Seattle...

But once he's found his beautiful old, like new vintage trumpet and takes a seat with the band.....IT TRULY 1937 ALL OVER AGAIN.

He still perfomes for residents and guests at the Overlake area facility.

TWO THINGS are still sure to spark back in his eye and a big smile on his face.
The first is when pops open the case and pickes up that golden old horn of his, up to chops.....and
The other is when he catches of glimpse of his beautiful wife Laverne of all these many many years...as she comes into his room.

He says..."HELLO BEAUTIFUL," as he greets his wife with a long, wet kiss...

Les was invited to join Glenn Miller in 1937 His big break came when Miller began a search for a new trumpet player to replace the lously driving drunken trumpet player who was fired on the spot...for TOTALING GLEN MILLER'S BRAND NEW CAR.
He gladly accepted the invitation and a ONE WAY BUS TICKET TO JOIN MILLER.
Les BEIGEL was also a member of RED NICHOLS BAND...and accepted with a telegram to join Red with this really short but sweet message that read only...

WILL JOIN. SEND $$$$

Red Nichols sent him $50.00 and he joined up...from there like Miller, was drafted into the Army and the rest is history.
BOTTOM LINE:
" LES AND HIS UNIQUE SOUND CAPTURED THE AMERICAN SPIRIT."

If anyone care to send a note of thanks...to Les Beigel and give him a vote of thanks...send a quick E mail to this E address and I am sure it will reach Les in good standing.

http://www.northwestprimetime.com

Tell em' BadBoy sentcha'

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-04-11 14:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-04-16 17:05 ]
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badyboy-Don,
Your caption, "The Last Living Member...Glenn Miller etc. caught my attention. Isn't Ray Anthony still with us?
Larry Smithee
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BBD,

Bad Boy huh? Naw . . . you're a real gem of a guy and the forum is blessed to have your bright wit and truly wise comments.

You're #1 with me! I don't know this guy, but I'm gonna drop him a line. Folks like him made me want to play the trumpet and he gave us a real treasure trove of music.

Warmest regards,

Tom
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-15 10:51, Larry Smithee wrote:
Badyboy-Don,
Your caption, "The Last Living Member...Glenn Miller etc. caught my attention. Isn't Ray Anthony still with us?
Larry Smithee

LOL! True... RAY WAS AND STILL IS MY HERO, and as a kid, I CONSTANTLY TRIED TO SOUND BRASSY AND RASPY..JUST LIKE RAY. THAT WAS HIS TRADEMARK SOUND. What an animal and talent...bought a shallow Parduba etc...but that was a loooooong time ago and yes, after investigating, The author was a bit over exube' about last living player...as many many many players over those years sat in and played with Miller in those days but This is what the article said...was pretty accurate as he was a long time friend and member before Glenn's untimely death.
In the near future I would like to type this article for this website as the writer was very good and gave some good stories with humor and insight from a time gone bye and needs to be retold.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Tom....That would be great of you to send a note his way. and anyone else..PLEASE!!!
I URGE YOU TO SEND A QUICK E MAIL TO THE LINK! OR TO THE PAPER...AND THE LETTERS OR E'S WILL TRULY REACH HIM...HE TRULY IS WORTHY AND WHAT A BLESSING THIS WOULD BE FOR HIM TO BE RECOGNIZED as so few treasures of his kind are still living.

This is why I treasure our Seattle ICON of ICONs in Brass. We still have our Floyd Standifer...playing as beautiful and precise as the good ol' days...although too, his is looking so frail...BUT WHEN HE GETS THAT BEAUTIFUL CALICCHIO COOKIN' UNDER THE SPOT LIGHTS...with the Jazz Rep. bunch..
HE'S ANOTHER TREASURE...AND A RARE BLESSED HUMAN BEING WITH A TALENT AS BIG AS A MOUNTAIN...and all that jazz.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

I couldn't get your www link to work. Is it still in operation?

Tom
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-15 21:02, tom turner wrote:
Hi Don,

I couldn't get your www link to work. Is it still in operation?

Tom

DOES THE LINK WORK..YES, BUT NOT OF MUCH HELP as I just found out a few minutes ago via a phone call to Sterling Park.. the director of the Regents home just informed me that he has just moved to his daughters home.

Mr. Leslie Beigel
2121 E. Lake Sammamish Place.
Sammamish Wa. 98075

I am going to send off a card tonight!
At his care facility 425 883-0495

Les Beigel

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-04-16 13:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-04-16 13:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BADBOY-DON on 2002-04-16 13:09 ]
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone to the Editor of the article and he is going to try to link us up with Les Beigel.

Now that he is at home with his daughter...He can play the trumpet any time he feels like it...and listen to his favorite music @ about any volume he likes..
DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR??? ))
Don O

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB-Don:

Tom Turner said it well. The trumpet sections of the big bands era were a definite inspiration to me when I was learning to play back in the late '40's. We all wanted our hometown bands to emulate those great sounds.

I sent an email to Les Beigel as you suggested. I hope it is relayed on to him at his daughter's home.

Don Olmsted
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-04-15 10:51, Larry Smithee wrote:
Badyboy-Don,
Larry Smithee

I just got a note from Ray Anthony's website..and they are going to pass on a copy of the LES BEIGLE...article to Ray, as they would love to touch bases with Les and feel that it is waaaaaaay beyond time to acknowledge Les again and Ray is astounded that Les is still with us.
Amazing how the internet can bring past lives together again...as well as fill in sooooo many forgotten memories..and blanks.
Long Live the Les's and Ray's of our world in music. How truly precious these musicians are and how much great music they have given all their lives..and all that jazz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: