• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pressure problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 20:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As some of you know from previous posts, thankfully, I've gotten past the top of staff plateau and things are getting better and easier. I'm still having a problem, however, with keeping mpc. pressure minimalized on the top lip. I am sure the bottom lip (and/or tongue) is not as involved in supporting the rim as it should be, leaving the top lip to bear the weight. This doesn't help in the endurance department. Anyone overcome similar problems? Dqve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 20:48
I think I am about a month or so behind you Dave...I am still dealing with the top of the staff problem and I can get a high C before I get to tired. Anyway, as I see it the key to TCE is the compression between tongue and upper lip ( as I understand it ). If you are not developing enough compression from pure muscle strength there is going to be a tendency to pull down and press the upper lip with the mouthpiece to compensate for the muscle compression that is not there. This is the same issue I am dealing with right now and I think the answer is more spit buzzing, more and shorter practice sessions ( so one doesn't get into the habit of using pressure when the muscles are too exhausted to function properly ) and patience ( perhaps the hardest thing for trumpet players especially when one can see the light at the end of the tunnel)...How am I doing Kyle...?

Jerry Freedman

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-24 22:02
Jerry, Smashing job! I wish I had written that, I'm beginning to feel unneeded. :>) Best regards, Kyle

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-25 07:46
Great answer, Jerry...........................you ARE getting there, aren't you? I think you nailed it, esp. on the shorter practice sessions. I've been doing 2 hours/nite with 30 min. between and 3 hours/day on weekends. Need to cool it some for sure. I'm not invincible...............YET!

I've always fought with top lip pressure. Back as a college kid, had a teacher bend my mpc to compensate. Within about 3 weeks I had the loudest G4 you ever heard. Of course, that was the embouchure that totally crashed about 6 or 7 years later. Never regained that ability, but did have to buy extra shelving to store all the chop method books I collected up afterwards. Whether TCE gives that power back to me or not, I gotta admit that my overall playing is more consistent and predictable than ever before........................................and I made a pretty good living playing back then. Just not as a lead player.

Thanks Jerry and keep pluggin'. Kyle, you CAN'T retire, yet! Not until we ALL get it RIGHT................... Or untill all politicians turn honest.................... Whichever comes first.......................... LOL . Dave

Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-25 08:31
my progress is slow --good sound but still struggling with rangd

Don't forget Kyle - we know where to find you .....Bwha hah ha ha ha ha

[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freedman on 2003-05-25 08:33 ]

Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-25 10:02
Dave, Jerry, and Kyle:

I was at ITG in Fort Worth this week and saw Jerry Callet (along with Lee Adams). They had a table where they were demonstrating the Callet Jazz (.470) and Stratosphere (.460) trumpets...nice playing horns...beautiful instruments.

In talking with Jerry, he had me spit buzz for him. He said that the spit buzz MUST be there for proper TCE. It seems such a simple concept, but we have all experienced the efforts that must be made for continued success.

Kyle, thank you for your kind and gracious assistance to all of us. DO NOT go anywhere just yet. You are like the life guard at a swimming pool. Hopefully, most swimmers do well enough in the water, but having a watch person present is "peace of mind".

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: