• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Want to get back into playing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live about an hour North of Tampa, Florida. I've tried to look on-line for stores without success. Any suggestions?

Since it's my first post I'll tell you I used to play a Benge (Serial #15189). I no longer have the horn.

Recently, I tried a Getzen and it was ok, but even though a new horn it had some finish problems. Returned it to Sam Ash music store.

I tried to purchase another Benge on-line. I sent it back. The valve caps were frozen. I was disappointed as well because it seemed "cheap". The 2nd valve slide was not in the forward direction as my old Benge. It didn't look to be well made. Much has changed since last playing 25 years ago.

Any suggestions for where to go to get a horn? I'm able to spend around $1,000.00.

I want to stay away from purchasing on-line. I'd like to go to a place, pick out a horn, play it and compare it with others. I'm not sure about trying to get one off EBAY or on-line.

rjkisielka@earthlink.net
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Trumpet Herald. The new Benges by UMI are not like the old Benges you knew and loved. The Benge legacy seems to have been passed to an outfit called Kanstul who currently remake the Benges that you were used to. There is a Kanstul dealer here on The Herald who everyone seems to like dealing with, and she has a good return policy. Her usual handle is Pair of Kings, but when she wears her dealer "hat" she posts under the handle PiCK Kanstul. If I am not mistaken, she can hook you up with a brand new lacquer Kanstul Chicago model (just like a Chicago Benge) for right around a thousand dollars, maybe a bit more but not much more. Silver plated will be approx $100 higher than lacquer. She also offers a discount for cash. I am hoping she will read this post and answer here. She is a trumpet player herself and I am certain she will be willing to extensively test-play a trumpet for you if you decided to order from her. I am not sure where to tell you to go North of Tampa to try one out in person, maybe Sam Ash carries them as well? But I bet Priscilla (PiCK Kanstul) can beat their price. Everyone I've talked to says that these Kanstuls play exactly like the Benge you used to know. The owner of the factory, Zigmant Kanstul, used to manage the Benge plant back in the 1970s. They are a very reputable firm and make a lot of instruments. Good luck with your purchase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: