• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone play Warburton Cornet mpcs? What cup and

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

backbore do use to get that nice mellow cornet sound.

I play Warburton trumpet mpcs and I really like them so I'd like to stay with Warburton since I finally know which rim size I like; but since cornet mpcs are new to me I just need a little guidance.

00 Schilke S22
78 Yamaha 732 Cornet
77 LA Benge
54 Olds Recording
Warburton 4MC & 3M

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-11-02 06:33 ]
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with the Warburton 5BC top on a BC10 backbore. The BC backbores are a bit shorter than the normal ones to accomodate the slightly longer BC tops (because of deeper cups). I'm sure the BC tops are available in all the popular diameters.

Dave
londonhusker
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. This combination gives you a nice mellow cornet sound I'm guessing. The problem I have is so many mpcs make my cornet sound like a trumpet. I'm going to look into the Warburton BC conbination for my cornet. Thanks again

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allen,

I do all my trumpet playing, and most of my cornet work, on Warburton mouthpieces so I can offer you some ideas.

TRUMPET
In my preferred Warburton rim size I generally prefer the "M" cup for most of my trumpet work (although I have them in ES, S, SV, M and D sizes for specialty gigs). For MY chops/horn combinations, I found the Warburton 8 backbore was best for my Bach/Pilczuk . . . but for my Wild Thing the perfect backbore was 7 (with the 6 and prototype Q2 both being close).

CORNETS
In my preferred Warburton rim size I use the BC CORNET cup. Unlike the trumpet cups listed above, the BC is a funnel-type CORNET cup so it imparts a richness that a "C" shaped "trumpet" cup can never do. For backbore I had Terry make me a #10 short shank backbore (shorter than a BC backbore). It's great, and I use it on my 1911 Boston, '39 Conn Victor and my WT short model cornets (all short shank cornets).

BACKBORE
I'd recommend a BC or short shank backbore designed for the sound of a cornet on a shepherd's crook-type short cornet. On my "modern" LB '61 Reynolds Argenta long-type cornet I use a standard Warburton 8 or 6 Backbore for that brighter sound.

OTHER CORNET MOUTHPIECES I SOMETIMES USE:

1. 1911 Boston 3-Star cookie cutter
This brutal, french horn-type funnelled mouthpiece is sooooo rich. I use it in certain applications, though the Warburton BC is my usual choice 90% of the time.

2. Sparx 3
Ted "out-Wicked" Wick and made a perfect-scale mouthpiece with the classic Wick sound. This mouthpiece is larger than I usually use but has a beautiful, Britich sound.

I'm pleased to hear that Terry Warburton is currently doing more research on "real" cornet cups right now. It looks like REAL cornet sound is making a comeback . . . and this is GREAT!!! When people finally get to hear the REAL cornet sound it makes 'em realize what they've been missing!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

[ This Message was edited by: tom turner on 2003-11-02 21:59 ]
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was Tom who initially turned me on to Warburton mouthpieces, I'll just patently agree with everything he said. I would add that finding a shop that has the entire range in stock or has a complete "tester kit" would put you in complete control of your purchase.

One more option if you want to go even deeper (for example, for back row brass banding) get a used Wick in your preferred diameter (I have a #4), and have your repair tech match its rim characteristics to your Warburton top of choice. Replate if you don't like the "green face effect".... actually you should replate anyway.

Dave
londonhusker
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, that's some great information, I think the BC is the one I'll get, and I'll probably start with the #8 backbore and go from there. I noticed that most of the major online music retailers (WWBW, Dillons, MouthpieceExpress) don't have the BC cornet mpcs listed. Any suggestions for where I might be able to pick one up? Thanks again

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Check with Rich Ita. He is also in the Georgia Brass Band and may actually stock the BC cups!

Also, Warburton takes credit cards via the phone and can ship today if you make your order with them . . . and let 'em know you need it ASAP!

Sincerely,

Tom
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing Warburton 3's across the board 3BC on the cornet on a *8 backbore. I have been experimenting with the Warburton 1BC over the past few days. Give the BC a try before you buy. Take a look at the Kanstul mouthpiece site, you can compare your current piece to the one you think you want.
dannystone10
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 3DD/10* and a 3BC/8BC. These are fine mouthpieces, but I have occasional problems blending with them - they can start to sizzle when pushed! Warburton are currently looking at a new line to address this issue - here is a copy of the email I recieved from them about these new pieces:

"Danny, We should have our new cornet mouthpiece available by the end of the week. I am taking some samples to the US Open Band Competition in Chicago on Nov 8. They will be one-piece models with sizes (Warburton ) 4 & 5; #20 bore (drill) size. I will let you know. Thanks "

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: