• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Restored Conn Victor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my 1956 Conn 80A Conn Victor (the one with the opera glass tuning device) back from Steve Winans, who restored it for me: replated valves with bright silver finish, gold wash inner bell. Looks like a new horn and plays like a dream!

Steve is a former Schilke technician who now has a shop of his own. To check him out on the Web search Dr. Valve.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you describe the playing characteristics as compared to short model cornets?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perry, Tom Turner had one with him in Alabama . . . did you get to try it?

Jim, I had my 1940 Olds Super trumpet done by Steve Winans this past summer, and I'll agree with you . . . his work is superb.

He ain't cheap, but his work is so good that I'll never let this horn go. I'm having a rough time deciding whether or not to send him another horn to work on, because I know that if I do I'll have yet another horn that I won't be able to part with. (Can you spell addiction?)

Rich
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perry,

I'd say the sound of my Conn 80A is a little warmer and more focused than that of my Conn 38A. The latter has a bigger sound, however. I love them both.

Rich,

Steve is both super craftsman and a great guy. He's also a good player, and he has a great love for cornets and trumpets, especially the more interesting ones.

When I was in his shop yesterday he showed me a King Liberty Minature he's restoring for one of the CSO players. It's half size and plays like a Bb piccolo. He said not many were made and it's worth a bundle.

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2003-10-17 16:47 ]
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, yep, I tried it, but to be honest I prefer the 80-A I've had since 1976, but as they are mechanically the same horn as far as specs go, the only difference is Tom's was silver and mine is the two tone laquer (well, most of it anyway).

Jim, didn't know you had a Connie as a basis for comparison. They are both great horns, in my opinion. When you play in the high register on the Victor, do you notice it losing that cornet sound and becoming more trumpet like, i.e. brighter? When I had range back in the day, that was the most common critism I heard. For that reason, I've shied away from practicing range with any of my cornets, just as I would if I still had a flugel, more using the right tool for the job. Of course, after hearing Tom and Bruce Lee, I know you can make a cornet do anything a trumpet can do, just curious about your observations.
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Conn Victor 80A. I have been playing it almost exclusively since I got it 4 months ago.

It can blend and compete with a trumpet section when I use my trumpet cup mouthpiece, and with the deep V cup mouthpieces is very mellow. Someday I might have it restored, but it is a great player as is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: