• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to know more about this elusive (at least in the US) instrument. What brand/model do most folks prefer in a C cornet?

A friend of mine recently bought a new Bach C cornet, so I gather Bach makes them too.

Dave M
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke C cornet that is great. Every year I tell myself that I will sell it, just to find that I get a call to do L'Histoire or something that really lies well on it. I guess I will keep it a little longer.

Mike
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Mike on this one. I have a Schilke A2C and I use it as much as I can. This week we're playing Hary Janos Suite, and I'm going to play the 1st Trumpet part and then switch to the cornet part for the last movement, just for another chance to use the cornet.

Phil Smith plays a Getzen C cornet, and the Kanstul is also becoming popular, but for me the Schilke valves and general feel can't be beat. I use it whenever a cornet part comes up, but also for certain solos in trumpet parts - Verdi's Aroldo Overture, for example.

Dave, did your friend buy that 239 bell C cornet on Ebay? How is it? I saw that and thought it looked interesting, but there is NO way I can justify having 2 C cornets, well, at lesat not right now with the baby coming in 5 weeks.

Bach did make C cornets in the Mt Vernon days as well. There was one on Ebay about 3 years ago. There is a DVD of the CSO from the 1960s playing Roman Carnival Overture with George Szell conducting where Bud is playing one of these.

JU
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, guys. I regularly play cornet in orchestra, so the C cornet is something I'd really like to check out. I really didn't know they were as popular as they are.

John, I don't know if he bought it off of eBay or not. I was under the impression it was made for him very recently. I guess a fault of mine is I don't follow cornets on eBay much. I really should though. I follow trumpets very closely but rarely cornets.

I really don't know much about the history of the Bach C cornet. I know the company did a great deal of research and development in those days. There were some very rare custom horns made back then too, so I imagine a C cornet a very likely possibility. Roy Hempley would probably know. (I'll ask him.) It would make a good subject for his "Bachology" series on the Selmer website.

Well, time to save up some bucks for a C cornet! Thanks again for the info!

Dave M
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In either the last Brasswind or Giardinelli catalog I received, new Bach C cornets were listed as a "closeout" item.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Listed as a closeout item???? Oops!

I talked with my friend (Bill, you a member here?) and he said he got his Bach C cornet new from the factory, that he had been waiting for years for them to make them. It's a large bore with a 239 bell. (Many of the older models had 238 bells).

Talked to Roy as well. He said Bach during the late Mt Vernon days had an enormous offering of instruments and the C cornet was offered then.

Dave M
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From previous experience, I know that both Giardinelli and Brasswind will stop carrying a product when they can't obtain it from the manufacturer in a timely manner. If Selmer recently cranked out the first batch of C cornets in years, I can imagine them being sold while available but retailers not wanting to order any (and then wait... who knows how long?) when the current batch is sold out. Thus, a theoretically currently-available instrument being sold as a closeout item.
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm an oddball but I use a King Vocal Master Model C cornet with a rotary switch to Bb. It's dates to about 1930. It has a light, airy, sparkly sound. Medium bore. I love this instrument. I also read that Vincent Bach preferred the C cornet sound to all other horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: