• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I am in love with my new horn- (Update)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nichols902

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it a couple weeks ago, and posted about it right away. It's a Mt.Vernon C trumpet with a pre 1953 NY Bell. Medium bore.

When I first played it, I thought it was ok, I basically just bought it to own a Mt.Vernon, a long time dream of mine. But I've been playing it quite a bit, even in some of my groups, and the more time goes on, the more I love it. I think the medium bore gives it a real rich powerful sound. I can easily fill the horn without overblowing. For you orchestra geeks, the upper register has that perfect Tchaikovsky 4th symphony sound. That brilliant rich sound with a *slight* edge to it, but not piercing.

I HIGHLY reccomend the old Bach's for anyone wanting a sound like that.

On a completely different topic-
In my second year of music school, I can remember playing in an ensemble and beginning to FEEL (not hear) the horn when its perfectly in tune, say in a sustained chord. When I'm out of tune, the horn has this kind of harsh vibration, but when I'm right on, the horn has this slow warm pulse to it that is so satisfying. You feel like the horn is actually a part of your body. Just my two cents.

Stephen Nichols
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way with my horn. Once you really get comfortable with your horn and you know it well, you will be able to play into the center of pitches very well and your intonation will get better. Of course, you always have to listen and adjust, but things will automatically lock in better once you become really familiar with your own horns. It took me about a month to get locked into my Schilke X3 and figure out where the notes were.
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone would like to experience what Mr. Nichols is talking about - ie the horn feeling like an extension of your body to the point where it seems as if it is playing itself, you needn't be in an orchestra, necessarily. Try this: get a trumpet buddy of yours, one who plays in tune, and tune to each other as exactly as you can. Then both of you play the same note exactly one octave apart. C is good, low C and 3rd space C. Hold it for a long time until the exact centers of each note cross over the magical line of perfect intonation. If done properly, it will feel as if the trumpet is playing itself. Other notes will work too. You could even play passages an octave apart and experience the feeling many times over the duration of the piece.
Nichols902

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like it when in small ensembles like my quintet, if we finish a Purcell piece or something and I have the tonic above the rest of the group. Theres just this warm hum to it.
Nichols902

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Valvepimp, where in the city are you?
valvepimp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhattan - West side.
Nichols902

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my best friends from highschool is a jazz trumpet player from NYU, he's played at birdland a few times, i wasn't sure if maybe you saw him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: