• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Simba Instrument quality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw how cheap the simba instruments are and was thinking about getting a cheap sax to play until I am off acutane and my lips are healed. Would this be a good investment?
TrumpetAdam
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cat's name is Simba...haha, well I heard that they are decent quality, dunno about your lips and acutane though.
Schilke 14
my trumpet
=============================
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, when these instruments first showed up at Sam's Club about a year ago, the saxes were the worse of the bunch - they were terrible. I do, however, think they've improved. I was at Sam's the other day and tried all the instruments except the sax. It didn't have a mpc. But looking it over, it looked "ok". I really think you'd probably be better off buying an older Conn, like the 16M. Or any other brand which parts will be readily available, if and when the need arises. From the perspective of a repair tech, like myself, any horn, no matter how good a purchase, is worthless if I'm not going to be able to get replacement parts for it.

Dave M
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from Scott Becker, the sax rebuilder here in town, that one of the problems with the cheap woodwinds is that the metal used in the keywork is too soft, and will not hold its shape well enough to ensure good sealing of the pads.... jbqd
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one that spends a couple of hundred dollars per year keeping my daughter's $2000 Yamaha flute, woodwinds need routine adjustment or they become unplayable fast. I'd want to hear from someone that'd owned a Simba for a year or so before I'd buy.

As for the trumpet, after playing one, I'd say it's worth the $159. For a ten-year old, it's a valid choice.

Dave
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one at Sam's Club the other day. These horns are a joke - horrible workmanship, stuffy, abissmal intonation. Then again - it's only $160!

No horn will ever make a player, but bad ones WILL hold you back.

You get what you pay for.

romey
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Simba trumpet that I played at Sam's was well in tune (for a student horn) and had a nice, open response. My Yamaha is better, but it cost eight-times as much. Other student horns cost two to four times as much as the Simba and don't necessarily offer proportional improvement.

Most parents of fifth graders don't have the contacts to select and purchase a quality used horn; therefore, I would recommend that they purchase the best student horn that they can afford. Here in Dallas, many have a tough time coming up with even the $159.

Dave
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it doesn't have to be perfect just good enough to get me through Christmas, because that is how long I am going to take acutane, I doubt it was effect my embrouchure any more than not playing for a couple of monthes
MarchardFerguson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just ordered the $280 sax, are there any sax players on this forum so I can ask questions if I run into trouble?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: