• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Vintage One Sound Bytes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a listen at Bert Truax's web site. He self-recorded the Texas All-State Trumpet Etudes on his Conn V1B-GP with #34 leadpipe. Although self-produced in his small trumpet studio, I think that the sound is very representative of his sound in person. He's using a GR65MX for the mouthpiece.

http://www.berttruax.com/Bert_Truax_Compositions.htm

Ciao,

Dave
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dis don sound like no Bach, tha could be a problem in dem circles, ya know?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that the Bach C will ever be sold, although I understand that Conn is trying hard to match it. We'll see...

Comparing his Bach 43 and the Conn V1 in person, the Bach sounded a little thinner. Both are great horns.
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Listening to Bert play makes me realize how far I have to go. Man, he's good. <sigh>

Oliver

practice, practice, practice...
tinetpt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has really good finger technique. However, I think he has a nasal-stuffy quality to his tone. Also, the attacks (to me) sound a bit harsh. Are those sixteenth notes really that fast that a double tongue needs to be used? I didn't think so when I was listening to the sounds clips. To me, it just didn't sound fluid.

Jay
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-21 15:25, tinetpt wrote:
However, I think he has a nasal-stuffy quality to his tone.
Jay

Having heard Bert on this horn in this room, let me say that, as one would expect, there are recording limitations making the tone sound less open that actual. Of course, mp3 is very limiting, and his mic may not have the very best, among other limiting factors. Trumpet is very hard to record well without some compromise, particularly in these formats. That said, these recordings are a decent representation of one of the V1s played well. (Having heard him live, I acknowledge, I'm probably filling in the gaps a little. Thus, the recording may sound better to me than to those that don't have that specific aural memory available to them.)

I review amplifiers, wires and speakers for a magazine called Just Jazz Guitar. "Nasal" sound artifacts are a byproduct of less than sterling recording techniques and less than audiophile grade listening systems (mp3). I also hear this degradation as a hard-edged glaze added to the real thing. Without spending mucho money on equipment it's hard to remove from the process. Some of us learn to listen through it, but it's usually there, particularly on computer sound bytes.

Anyway, try to listen through the electronic haze. (It's not bad, but it's there).

Dave
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else find what tinetpt said to be kind of rude?? I really don't think this guy was going for CD-recording quality and to be released in retail stores at that. He was merley illustrating the sound and playability of the Conn Vinatge One which I felt he did quite well. He wasn't trying to impress anyone by any means which I am quite sure he could have ... even you tinetpt. Maybe not everyone is as good as you are tinetpt .... do you have any recordings you would like to share with us?? I myself thought it sounded pretty good ... especially his own composition. He has terrific technique and note accuracy and rhythm. I'm sorry but I find it rude to outright someone else's playing ... we're all here to make music .... not to discourage it or bash it. You can take that attitude back to high school where it belongs.

Just upsetting.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean i can't criticize nothing?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-08-29 14:15, jophst wrote:
Did anyone else find what tinetpt said to be kind of rude??

Well, yes I did, but I've come to expect that out someone in any gathering of trumpet players. Sad, but true. Somehow it seems to go with the prototypical trumpet playing personality.

Over in my jazz guitar group the same thing goes on, but to a lesser degree. Still, it happens.

I think you appropriately described Bert's effort. He's trying to help trumpeters. He might also sell some of his Bert's Brass DVDs as a by-product, but there's no denying that posting it for free was a great service to young Texas trumpeters.

That's got me thinking. Would others on this group do something similar for other states? That'd be a great public service for this forum. Let's do it in the spirit of helping young trumpeters, not being super critical of anything less than perfect.

Maybe we should start a new thread over in pedagogy...

Ciao,

Dave
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, he sounds pretty darn good to me; I guess I have a really really long way to go. But that's OK, I'm enjoying the trip.

I'll tell ya' though, those are some pretty nice sounds.

Schilke S22
77 LA Benge
Warburton 4MC/6SV

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"

[ This Message was edited by: ARB on 2003-08-29 19:46 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He sounds fine and demonstrates the Conn Vintage One very well. I don't understand why people want to always criticize other players. Very unfortunate & disappointing. Life is too short - enjoy the music.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2003-08-29 20:43 ]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, criticize = bad
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tiny tpt.... Tell yuh whut, ol' buddy. Y'all record and post clips of YOU playing those same pieces and demonstrate whut yuh mean. Sometimes a demonstration is worth a thousand criticisms, yuh know?

I agree with most of the other posters: the "nasal" or "airy" sound that's in there seems to be a function of the recording or possibly the room in which it was recorded, mic placement, the speakers on my computer (which ain't exactly Hi Fi, if ya know what I mean), or whatever.

He plays a hell of a lot better than I do so I'm nobody to criticise him. Thanks for posting the link, dcstep.

Here's one for Allen Vizzutti. No idea what he's playing, and suspect it doesn't matter! LOL!

http://www.artra.com/admin/mp3_files/vizzutti.ram

Getzen Eterna 800 LB (Sparx #4)
Jupiter 846L (Jupiter #7)

[ This Message was edited by: Tootsall on 2003-08-29 22:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tootsall on 2003-08-29 22:30 ]
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his opinion is his opinion. I'm not all that good at trumpet, but I think I could probably hear something and tell whether I like it or not. And what he said was pretty polite, if you think that was harsh then you have no idea what you are talking about. Not saying I necessarily I agree with him, I liked the recordings, but I think his opinion is his opinion. I think you all have been much MUCH more rude to him than he was about those recordings (he wasn't).
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, kudos to Bert for the contribution. He is a terrific player, and these are nice clips.

Second, I disagree that Jay was rude. This is music recorded as an example for a contest, and therefore needs to be scrutinized a little more carefully than the typical internet sound file. I too found myself wondering why Bert double tongued that particular etude. Maybe it was "because he could."

I doubt that any kid in the contest will attempt it that way. In my opinion, it's easier (and cleaner) to do it single tongued.

Jeff Smiley
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to start a big debate on how to be civil. I just felt that based on the subject matter of the forum, it may have been uncalled for and a little out of line. He should have started another thread if he wants to critique someone else's playing .... and be prepared to back up his own also.

There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but there is with destructive.

Personally I still believe that he was not personally trying to win an audition with anyone. I think he could have if he really wanted to though.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: