• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 60B!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bozzaman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Conn 60B! Reply with quote

Hey, I found a vintage Conn 60B and it really impresses me. I wonder what I should spend on it, and what are the practical applications for this horn. It's bright, it sizzles, it's light-weight. Would this fit in commercial, big band, combo, theater as an all-around horn? Where are these horns anyway and who plays them???

I had no idea what this horn was initially, but it felt solid in my hands and lit the place up when I put it to work. I think I'm gonna have to get this horn and put it to good use!

Anyone?
BSC (Brass Sound Creations) Bb; Bach Mt. Vernon 1962 Bb; Conn 38B Constellation; Bach 239GH, 25S C; Kanstul CCT 920 Picc.; Schilke E3 D/Eb; Getzen Eterna Flugel; Courtois Cornet @ 1966; Naumann 3-Hole; Etc.
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Conn 60B! Reply with quote

Bozzaman wrote:
Hey, I found a vintage Conn 60B and it really impresses me . . . Anyone?

Which generation, 1929 - '31 or 1966 - '69?
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N-Series. Puts it in '70, I believe. Bright Silver.
BSC (Brass Sound Creations) Bb; Bach Mt. Vernon 1962 Bb; Conn 38B Constellation; Bach 239GH, 25S C; Kanstul CCT 920 Picc.; Schilke E3 D/Eb; Getzen Eterna Flugel; Courtois Cornet @ 1966; Naumann 3-Hole; Etc.
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzaman wrote:
N-Series. Puts it in '70, I believe. Bright Silver.

N is indeed 1970. This is the first year after the Greenleaf's sold to MacMillan Publishers. Production remained in Elkhart and quality remained very good as it was pretty much business-as-usual that year. The slippery down hill slide began in 1971 with the move to Abilene, TX. If you are looking for a player this is good because it is not a collectable, but is every bit as good as the ones that are. It is probably best known and suited for big band lead.

The next step is yours. Try it! You'll love it. I love mine!

Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. What a great picture, too. A pricey little horn for 1970, eh?
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that I could remember what model my high school horn was. It was a step below the Constellation and was marketed as the Conn jazz horn. That puppy would really light up when pushed but the intonation wasn't great. Bought it new in 1965 and I remember the valves were bullitt proof, couldn't see the springs - they were enclosed. It was a lot lighter then the Constellation which everyone else had.

Last edited by david mickley on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the 60B ranks. I have one, a 1969 in silver, and love it. I played it in a big band concert last Friday night. It certainly would do most of what you list. I can't speak to the commercial side, but certainly lead, big band and shows.

They come up on ebay once in a while, so check prices there. I would think that $300-900, depending on condition would be worthwhile. The last one I found in a music store was at Strait Music in Austin, back around 2005, and they were asking $999 with original case and mouthpiece.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bozzaman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with Robert Nagel, and he has one of the biggest sounds you'll ever hear. And yes, as I recall, he WAS playing on a vintage Conn. At the time I thought the horn was from the '58-'62 period, and not a Connstellation (don't know why that sticks in my mind) but hey, it could have been that 60B.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in the Army I served with a trumpeter who played a 60B. It had a nice, bright and easy upper register and the horn was the same bore as the Connstellation too, IIRC, which makes the bore .438 or so. A great lead horn, and it worked well all around too.

Fast forward forty years . . .

A fellow in my area still plays on his 60B that his folks got him when he went off to the University of Georgia as a music major. He's now a retired band director and he still practices hard every single day.

This fellow is strictly a legit player and has a gorgeous legit sound on his 60B . . . along with the vintage Jet Tone he got at the same time. Don't laugh . . . you'd never believe that combination could sound like he makes that combination sound. Then again . . . friends sometimes call him "chicken lips" and it really works for him. What a beautiful sound he has.

T.
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
When I was in the Army I served with a trumpeter who played a 60B. It had a nice, bright and easy upper register and the horn was the same bore as the Connstellation too, IIRC, which makes the bore .438 or so. A great lead horn, and it worked well all around too......
T.

The 60B Super Connstellation has a bore of 0.458 inches, not 0.438 inches. The 38B Connstellation bore is 0.438 inches.
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david mickley wrote:
I wish that I could remember what model my high school horn was. It was a step below the Constellation and was marketed as the Conn jazz horn. That puppy would really light up when pushed but the intonation wasn't great. Bought it new in 1965 and I remember the valves were bullitt proof, couldn't see the springs - they were enclosed. It was a lot lighter then the Constellation which everyone else had.

From the sound of your description and the year that you purchased it (60B came on line in 1966) I'd guess 8B Artist.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cderksen/Conn8B1966image.html

These wide wrap models are known for their mouthpiece sensitivity so it could be where the intonation issue you experienced came from.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenleaf - thank you for lifting the fog on this old mans' brain, it was a a 8B. evryone liked playing it [even the band director] but the the connies had more core to their sound. I was envious of their silver horns and I had a laquer horn. Just used the mouth piece that came with it, didn't know they made different m.p. back then just thought you played what ever came with the horn.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Conn introduced the lightweight silver 60B to compete against the Schilke and hot-selling King Silver Flair (1055T.) It's hard to find a 60B (or 61B with thumb saddle) in excellent condition.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Full kit Reply with quote

I found a 60B on eBay not long ago that had lousy pictures but sounded quite nice, and picked it up for around $500. Other than a few small dents on the bell near the first valve, after cleaning up it's like new. They're REALLY nice horns. In my view, it's one of the classic era Conns that is as versatile and playable as anything made now for a commercial player (can't speak for the ta-ka ta-ka dudes ).

I saw one about a year ago on eBay that was amazing. Dead mint, included all three sets of finger buttons the horns came with new, case, the olive-y green zippered case cover, and the matching mute bag. It went for just over $1000, and though that was a bit past my comfort zone, I doubt I'll ever see a better example from a collector's standpoint.

Mine's a great horn from a playing perspective, which is what I was concerned about.

As others have posted, the 61B adds the adjustable first saddle, but also adds the Abilene baggage of wildly inconsistent manufacturing quality.
Bozzaman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I picked up the 60B. How could I not. I'm going to enjoy gettng to know it. One thing I can tell you is that it really delivers. No disappointments here. You know, this thing came with an extra set of valve buttons---so you could have heavy buttons or light. Unfortunately, I have only one. My fingers will have to draw straws.

Who was the FIRST manufacturer to do this???
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Full kit Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
I saw one about a year ago on eBay that was amazing. Dead mint, included all three sets of finger buttons the horns came with new, case, the olive-y green zippered case cover, and the matching mute bag. It went for just over $1000, and though that was a bit past my comfort zone, I doubt I'll ever see a better example from a collector's standpoint.

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Um, yeah, that's what I meant. Reply with quote

Greenleaf -

ARGHHH!

Yeah, that's what I was talking about....wow, nice setup!
Bozzaman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've got one of those gig bags. So THATS what it came with. Not a great gig bag-almost no padding at all. But I have used it. Not for precious stuff.
My 60B came with the case identical to an early 60's Connstellation (38B) I had. Like a grey tweed. Quality case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: